Technology Rich Unit Plan
Science Fiction: Grade 12
TLW be able to examine themes and concepts related to science fiction literature.
TLW be able to write a short story in a science fiction genre.
TLW prepare a portfolio showcasing the research and writing from the unit.
TLW be able to collect a dataset by polling an audience.
TLW be able to take a compiled dataset and convert it into a graph.
TLW be able to take a graph created in Excel and incorporate it into a PowerPoint slide.
What are common genres in science fiction?
Does science fiction help readers to examine life and reach conclusions about technology?
When choosing a target audience to write to, what are important considerations?
What questions must be asked when collecting data from an audience?
How is a graph created in MS Excel?
How is a graph transferred from Excel to PowerPoint?
1. Students will watch the TEASe trailer for the unit.
2. After watching the trailer students will complete the graphing lesson plan.
3. Students will complete the Student Treasure Hunt on science fiction.
4. Based on their graph, students will write a short story in one of the top three genres of their friends as indicated by the graph.
4. Students will watch the tutorial on Simple Booklet in preparation for creating their portfolio.
5. Students will create an account on Simple Booklet. They will compile the research and writing they have done into a simple booklet portfolio.
1. Students will be assessed by the rubrics of each lesson.
2. The portfolio rubric is below.
|Multimedia Project : portfolio rubric – science fiction|
| || || || || |
|Teacher Name: Mr. Triplett|
|Student Name: ________________________________________|
|Requirements||All requirements are met and exceeded.||All requirements are met.||One requirement was not completely met.||More than one requirement was not completely met.|
|Content||Covers topic in-depth with details and examples. Subject knowledge is excellent.||Includes essential knowledge about the topic. Subject knowledge appears to be good.||Includes essential information about the topic but there are 1-2 factual errors.||Content is minimal OR there are several factual errors.|
|Organization||Content is well organized using headings or bulleted lists to group related material.||Uses headings or bulleted lists to organize, but the overall organization of topics appears flawed.||Content is logically organized for the most part.||There was no clear or logical organizational structure, just lots of facts.|
|Originality||Product shows a large amount of original thought. Ideas are creative and inventive.||Product shows some original thought. Work shows new ideas and insights.||Uses other people\’s ideas (giving them credit), but there is little evidence of original thinking.||Uses other people\’s ideas, but does not give them credit.|
|Date Created: Feb 27, 2017 02:44 pm (CST)|